Sunday, October 4, 2009

Our Wicked Trip to Seattle

Steve and I had an AMAZING weekend in Seattle! We dropped Grayson off at my mom and dad's house early on Friday (THANKS, NANA AND POPPA!!!), and we were on our way! We flew out to Seattle, and it was raining a very fine mist -- very lovely! Steve and I LOVE rainy weather, so we figured Seattle would be a perfect get-away for us :) We rode the bus from the airport, then walked from the bus station a few blocks to our hotel -- it was a nice little stroll in the rain!
Steve found an INCREDIBLE hotel called Hotel 1000 -- it was only a few blocks away from the piers, and our room was up on the 11th floor, so we had an amazing view of Puget Sound and we could watch the ferries come in --

SO fun! The room was beautiful -- the best room I've ever stayed in! It also had a spa inside, and Steve got me a reservation for a pedicure! Ahhh, let me tell you, it was B L I S S!!!!!!!!!!!! 45 minutes of pure heaven! After the regular soak/file/regular pedicure stuff, the lady (Nita - very nice, funny lady!)put this heated masque on my feet, then put heated booties on, and it felt SO good -- then she massaged my feet, and it was wonderful!!! And I picked a very cute color for my toes :)

After my heavenly pedicure experience, we relaxed in the room for a bit, then went downstairs to the hotel's restaurant BOKA, and it was divine! Pricey, of course, but we were on vacation :) I got some beets for an appetizer (I'm a big beet fan), and they were SO GOOD. Then I got a filet mignon, and I swear it was THE BEST steak I've ever had in my LIFE! Mmmmmmm, my mouth is watering just thinking about it right now :) Steve got some pretty yummy halibut, too -- but I'm not a fan of fish, so I'll have to take his word for it. Then I got a dessert that was a molten chocolate cake, a soft caramel dipped in chocolate, and caramel ice cream with caramel corn sprinkled on top!!! :D YUM! The best part of the meal, though, was sitting and relaxing, being able to ENJOY my food, not having to dodge flying spaghetti or retrieve spoons, bowls and cups hundreds of times from off the floor. Dining without a toddler is so peaceful and enjoyable! And it was so fun to just be able to chat and laugh with Steve!! It took us 2 hours from start to finish, but I loved every minute of it!
The next day, we SLEPT IN! til 10:30 -- wowza! Then lounged around a bit and got dolled up, then headed out -- we were going to take the bus, but the schedule is different on Saturdays, and we couldn't find the right one, so we ended up WALKING all the way into town, and me in HEELS -- and if any of you have ever been to Seattle, you know how many HILLS you have to go up, and how darn STEEP those hills are -- let me tell you, my legs got a workout! BUT it was SO worth it, because we found our way to where we were going -- the Paramount Theater, and we were there to see: (dun, du-nuh NUH!) WICKED!!!!!! Ah man, it was AWESOME!!!! I've always LOVED the music, so I was so excited to see the musical! It did not disappoint! I loved all the performers' voices, and the costumes were so fun! But I was a bit confused by the set -- can anyone explain to me why it was set up as if the whole play was taking place inside a clock? And all the references to the time, clock, etc. It's obviously meant to be significant. I don't get it. Guess I'm missing something. But it was still wonderful! And the theater itself was beautiful, too. Pretty place.
Then we had to walk back to the hotel, though. And that was not fun. We thought we'd stop on the way back and get something to eat, but we never found anything that sounded good that was open (sidenote: why on earth would places be closed on Saturdays? baffling). So we ended up walking twice as far as when we walked TO the play. Needless to say, by the time we got back to the hotel, I wasn't walking so much as shuffling/limping/cursing under my breath. Ok, not cursing per se, but definitely mumbling and complaining. Don't judge me until you walk a few miles up and down steep hills in high heels. I was in pain and hungry, and I was very grumpy. But I made it back to the hotel, changed my clothes and shoes, then we walked some more in search of food. Again, we had some difficulty finding somewhere to eat. We walked down to the Pikes Place Market (we went through the alley where the Gum Wall is -- disgusting yet oddly amusing), and couldn't find anywhere around there to eat, either. So we went down to the water, and found the Crab Pot!
It had quite a long wait time to get in, but I was DONE walking, so we sat and waited. I enjoyed watching the people -- funny. And it was worth the wait! My burger wasn't anything to shout about, but the crab cakes we got to share were AMAZING!!!! Steve is quite the crab lover/expert, and even HE says it was the best crab cake he's ever had. The bread was delicious also. And then I got ANOTHER yummy dessert (I totally deserved it after all the walking, thankyouverymuch) -- strawberry rhubarb cake! Ohhhhhhhh yum yum yum yum yum! Divine.
We then walked back to the hotel, which was at that point only a few blocks away -- I had to laugh at that, as we had again walked a LONG way to get there, wandering as we did to try and find a restaurant. Ah well. It was a beautiful night, and the sunset was gorgeous! *And after that first day of light mist, it didn't rain ever again the whole time we were there -- funny, because it apparently rained HERE the whole time we were gone. Ha.
We then had a nice relaxing night in the hotel room. Oo, the bathtub had a spout that came from the ceiling!
Very impressive :) And there was a glass wall between the bedroom and the bathroom. A little weird, but kinda fun at the same time. So I took this picture while sitting on the bed. Steve was very nice and drew me a nice warm bubble bath so I could soak my aching feet and legs. He even gave me a foot rub! Awesome, I know. He's the best!! :)
Sunday, we just took it easy and leisurely made our way home (riding the bus again, then of course the plane). We flew right over Mt. Rainier -- it was absolutely gorgeous!
It's good to be home, and SO good to see Grayson again! I missed the little guy SOOOOOOO MUCH! But he had a great time with his Nana and Poppa, and it was so very nice to re-connect with my hubby, and be something beyond just a Mommy for a while! :) Thank you so much, Steve-o, for the wonderful trip!! It was the best weekend I've had in a LONG time!:D


Katie said...

Sounds like a very fun trip, and a much needed getaway! Glad you liked Wicked!!! Such an awesome show.

Becky said...

That sounds like so much fun. I love Seattle! Hey, I saw your stuff at the boutique! It's SO cute, I might have to go back and buy something!

Sarah and Trent said...

Wow you guys know how to LIVE! :) Sounds like a luxurious time and I'm so glad you got the chance to go. Happy Birthday to YOU!!! Sounds like a blast, hope your feet are okay. ouch!

Julia said...

What a great trip! The food sounds amazing! Your toes look so cute! Love the pic of Steve and the water coming from the ceiling. lol! Glad you had fun!

Jennifer said...

Sounds like you two had such a good time.